Legal Aid Council in Kano received 286 cases in 2016

Legal Aid Council in Kano received 286 cases in 2016

February 2, 2017 | 12:20 pm

Kano  –   The Kano State Office of the Legal Aid Council of Nigeria said it received no fewer than 286 cases in 2016.

The Agency’s State Coordinator, Alhaji Abubakar Umar, in an interview with the  News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) said the cases comprised of both criminal and civil cases.

The coordinator said that out of the number, 164 were criminal cases (which represent 57.3 per cent), while the remaining 122 were civil cases (representing 42.7 per cent) of the total cases.

According to him, the number of substantive cases received and handled at Magistrate was 51 while those treated at the High Court level were 46.

Umar said 28 mediation cases were treated, representing 22.9 per cent of the entire civil cases received.

He added that 65 legal advices were issued which represent 53.2 per cent of the total number of civil cases received.


The coordinator said that there were 200 pending cases including those brought forward from previous years.

He explained that of these cases in arrears, 308 were won during the period, which represents 92.2 per cent of the entire number of completed cases, pointing out that only 26 cases were lost –representing 7.8 per cent.


Similarly, he said, the agency handled 268 criminal and civil cases that represented 93.7 per cent of the entire cases handled by the office.